Status: Resolved (View Workflow)
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Security Level: Default (Default Security Scheme)
HB Backlog Status:NB
With https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms/pull/3444 we've shown that it is possible to store both the resource and group level meta-data as tags in the TSDB, rather than storing these in Postgres.
This meta-data has different properties from other tags though:
- We do not need to be able to search or filter on these
- We do not need to maintain historic values over time (as it is currently with the Newts and RRD based implementations)
By treating these as a separate class of tags (similar to external labels in Prometheus) we can have the TSS implementation optimize for them accordingly.
Changes required to the TSS API
- Add a new category of tags called 'external tags'
Changes required to the TSS Integration Layer
- Leverage external tags for storing and retrieve resource/group level meta-data
Changes required for TSS plugins
- Map external tags to suitable options
- For the TSaaS plugin, this leave us with the ability to handle these tags with a different data store if necessary