The opennms server does not contact the remote polling machine to poll the remote nodes.
I have an ubuntu server with opennms 1.12.3. The server can't reach directly a node on a different network but can reach another ubuntu system on the remote net. The remote ubuntu has the remote poller deb package installed and is configured to check in to the server.
The problem is that the Opennms server ignore the package config in poller-configuration.xml file and try to poll the remote node directly instead to use the remote polling system.
- With a tcpdump on both systems I can see the traffic originating on the opennms server trying to check the remote node directly.
- On the web gui->node page I see the only one service configured ICMP as Not Monitored.
- On the web gui->node page-> node interface I can see the Poller Package as the remote one I configured and it's right.
- The Distributed Status web page say "No Data".
- The Admin->Distributed Poller Status web page is showing the checking in of the remote poller.
- The remote poller is running as root.
Hope this can help.