Minion packages were previous maintained in the smnnepo repository.
These packages had a number of problems, notably:
- Required multiple JVMs (Karaf sub-instances to operate)
- Required access to the OpenNMS server to startup
- Used the OpenNMS server as a Maven repository
In an effort to improve the maintainability and usability of the packages, we will include them in the main OpenNMS build moving forward.
In migrating the packages to the OpenNMS repository, we have also made the following changes;
- Upgraded to Karaf v4.0.4
- We provide packages will all of the dependencies required for the Minion features to load (no more pulling artifacts from the OpenNMS server)
- We use a single JVM
- We no longer store remote credentials on disk in plain-text
Additionally the Minion container no longer includes an embedded ActiveMQ broker. We'll revisit this if required.