The current setup has some issues regarding usability. While the content is getting larger, the rendering to a single static page becomes hard to use. Publishing and distributing versions of the documentation to https://docs.opennms.org requires external tools.
The AsciiBinder is a new framework which addresses the following topics:
- Allows content managers to build and publish several variants of the same documentation
- Makes it easier for developers and community members to contribute documentation
- Support for multiple versions of the documentation using Git
- Publishing and maintain large sets of documentation written in AsciiDoc format
The AsciiBinder framework is maintained currently under Red Hat and is successfully used in OpenShift, Project Atomic and ManageIQ. One of the AsciiBinder maintainers is also proposing AsciiBinder as the framework in the Fedora Project.
- Proposal: https://wiki.opennms.org/wiki/Proposals/AsciiBinder
- GitHub Branch: https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms/tree/jira/NMS-9495
- DevJam 2017 project: https://wiki.opennms.org/wiki/Dev-Jam_2017/AsciiBinder
- Project page: https://wiki.opennms.org/wiki/Dev-Jam_2017/AsciiBinder